Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Last Turn At Lorwyn: U/W Reveillark

With Lorwyn nearly out of the picture, I want to give a few matches to each deck that will be dead come rotation: that is: Lark, Elf Combo, Five-Color Control, Mannequin and Merfolk. Kithkin I've already played.

First off is W/U Reveillark. This is the list I used:

Lands (21)

4 Glacial Fortress
7 Island
4 Mystic Gate
6 Plains

Creatures (24)

1 Baneslayer Angel
4 Glen Elendra Archmage
4 Knight of the White Orchid
4 Meddling Mage
4 Mulldrifter
4 Reveillark
3 Sower of Temptation

Spells (15)

3 Broken Ambitions
4 Cryptic Command
4 Fieldmist Borderpost
4 Path to Exile

Sideboard (15)

2 Austere Command
2 Baneslayer Angel
3 Burrenton Forge-Tender
2 Celestial Purge
3 Ethersworn Canonist
2 Hallowed Burial
1 Sower of Temptation

I hopped on MWS to do battle.

Match 1 vs. B/G Elves

He wins the die roll. He plays a land, then I follow suit. Second turn he plays another land, and I play Meddling Mage naming Maelstrom Pulse, having only seen black and green.

He plays Farhaven Elf. I swing for 2 (20, 18), then play a Borderpost. I pass. He swings (19, 18) and plays another Farhaven Elf. I evoke a Mulldrifter and swing. (19, 16). I pass. He plays Elvish Archdruid and swings for 4. (15, 16). On my turn I play Sower of Temptation to steal the Archdruid, then swing with Meddling Mage. (15, 14) I end the turn.

He plays another Elvish Archdruid and swings. I play Path to Exile to kill the Archdruid, and then block his 1/1's with my 2/2's. Ouch. I swing for 6, (15, 8) then play Glen Elendra Archmage and pass. He draws and concedes.

Game 2 He makes the first play, a Turn 2 Wren's Run Vanquisher. I pass. He swings (17, 20) and passes. I pass, stuck on 2 land. He swings, I Path his Vanquisher. I untap, topdeck Knight of the White Orchid and play it to get my third land. I then play a Fieldmist Borderpost now that I have a basic in play, and then play the Plains again. I end my turn, and he Nameless Inversions my Knight, but the damage is done.

He plays Profane Command for 4, and then remembers Vanquisher was exiled, not put in the graveyard. Thus, his 6 mana only makes me lose 4 life. (13, 20). He passes. I topdeck a fifth land, play it, and lay Baneslayer Angel.

He passes. I swing. (18, 15) and pass. He passes, and I swing again. (23, 10). I pass again. He evokes a Shriekmaw, and I use Cryptic Command. He taps out for a Profane Command for 5! (18, 10) My Baneslayer Angel dies.

I play Knight of the White Orchid, then Mulldrifter. I pass. He plays Primal Command (18, 17) searching for Masked Admirers. I play an Archmage, and swing with my guys (18, 13). I pass. He plays Farhaven Elf and swings. (15, 13). He then plays Wren's Run Packmaster, championing Farhaven Elf. Luckily he only has 2 mana open.

I swing with everything, he blocks the Knight. That was a blunder on my part. (15, 9) After combat, I play Sower of Temptation to steal the Packmaster. He plays Scepter of Fugue, and uses it. I discard one of the three Reveillarks in my hand. He attacks with Masked Admirers, I block with the 5/5. He plays Llanowar Elves, recurring the Admirers. I untap, play Cryptic Command to tap his guys, and go all in to win.

1-0

Match 2 vs. Blightning

I win the die roll and mulligan to 6. I lay a land and go. He plays Figure of Destiny. I play a land, as does he. He attacks for 1. (19, 20). He plays Goblin Outlander and passes. I play a Plains, and then pay a full-price Borderpost. I pass.

He makes Figure a 2/2 and swings. (15, 20) I play Sower of Temptation, stealing Figure of Destiny. He plays Blightning, and I discard a Borderpost and Path to Exile, leaving a Path as the last card in my hand. (12, 20) He swings. (10, 20) I untap, pump Figure, and swing. (10, 16). I play Sower of Temptation and steal Goblin Outlander. At EOT he plays Flame Javelin on my Sower that stole Figure. I Path my Figure in response.

He untaps, draws, and plays Demigod of Revenge. He swings. (5, 16) I draw and Path his Demigod, then swing for 4. (5, 12)

He plays double Anathemancer (1, 12) and passes. I concede, since as soon as one dies, he can bring it back to win.

Game 2: The first play comes on Turn 2, as he plays a Figure of Destiny. I play my third land and pass. He plays Goblin Outlander and swings. (19, 20). He passes. I play a land, and play Meddling Mage naming Blightning. He swings with the Outlander (17, 20) then plays another Outlander and passes.

I pass. During his beginning of combat step, I use tap-draw with Cryptic Command. He plays Anathemancer (15, 20). I play Baneslayer Angel. He Terminates it, and swings. (11, 20). I trade Anathemancer with Meddling Mage.

I play Forge-Tender and pass. He swings with the Outlanders. (7, 20) and plays Blightning. I Broken it, revealing Meddling Mage. He reveals Ram-Gang. On my turn, I play Knight of the White Orchid, and Meddling Mage (naming Boggart Ram-Gang). He swings with the Outlanders (3, 20) and plays Anathemancer. (1, 20) I draw, and concede.

1-1

Match 3 vs. White Weenie

I win the die roll. He plays Honor of the Pure Turn 2. I untap, play Knight of the White Orchid, and pass. He plays Spectral Procession. Luckily, I draw into my fourth mana, which I play. I Sower one of them and swing with the Knight. (20, 18). I pass. He plays Spectral Procession and swings. I block one with the Sower and one with the Spirit, leaving him with no damage. I swing with the Knight. He blocks, and Harm's Ways me. (18, 18). I play Mulldrifter and pass. He plays Honor of the Pure and Figure of Destiny, and swings. I block a token with Mulldrifter and take 9. (9, 18). I evoke Lark, bringing back Sower and Mulldrifter. I steal a token.

He attacks. I go to 3, and he plays Spectral Procession. I concede.

Game 2 he mulligans to 5, and I'm on the play. Ouch. The first play is again his, with a Turn 2 Elite Vanguard. I play my third land and evoke Mulldrifter.

He plays Figure, and swings. (18, 20). He passes. I play Glen Elendra Archmage and pass. He swings with the Vanguard. (16, 20) then plays another Figure. I play Baneslayer Angel. He Paths it, and swings with the Vanguard. (14, 20). I Sower his Figure of Destiny. He pumps his Figure at EOT. He swings, I block, and he uses Harm's Way. I add a counter to Archmage, and it's binned. Both Figures die.

I play a Mulldrifter and swing with Sower and Archmage. (14, 17). I pass. He swings with Vanguard, I block with Mulldrifter. He goes for Harm's Way, and I sacrifice my Archmage. He passes. I evoke Reveillark and bring back Archmage and Mulldrifter. I swing with the Sower. (14, 15). He untaps, and passes.

I swing, he goes for Harm's Way. I put a counter on the Archmage (deja vu, anyone?) and he takes 4. (14, 11). I then play a fresh Archmage. He plays Ranger of Eos, searching for double Figure, and plays one. I untap, and play Meddling Mage, stranding the second one in his hand. I swing for 5 in the air (14, 4) and pass. He draws and concedes.

Game 3 he plays an Elite Vanguard. I pass. He plays a Figure, and swings. (18, 20). I play a second land and play Meddling Mage, naming Spectral Procession. I pass.

He makes his Figure a 2/2, and swings. (14, 20). I evoke a Mulldrifter. He swings. (10, 20). I play Sower of Temptation to steal Figure of Destiny, and pass. He plays Elite Vanguard and swings with the first one. I let it through. (8, 20). I untap, and play Glen Elendra Archmage. I swing with the Sower. (8, 18) I pass.

He swings with his Vanguards. I block with my guys. He uses Harm's Way. I counter it. He uses another Harm's Way, and I'm out of mana for Archmage. All my guys die, one of his Vanguards live.

I simply play a Baneslayer Angel. He plays a Vanguard and passes. I evoke Reveillark for Sower and Mulldrifter. I swing with Baneslayer, it gets Pollen Lullabied. I have control of the game, so I decide to let it through and simply wait. He plays Spectral Procession, and I sacrifice the Archmage. I untap and play a fresh one. I swing with Sower, Mulldrifter, and Vanguard. He takes 6. (8, 12). I play Meddling Mage, naming Figure of Destiny.

He plays Spectral Procession, and I put a counter on Archmage. I swing with everything. (13, 1). He draws, and concedes.

2-1

I lost the records to this match, but I beat Elementals 2-0. I remember thinking at one point how unfair it is that my 3WW creature trumped the WUBRG creature he played next turn. Horde of Notions has vigilance, trample and haste, but no first strike. The next turn, I Sowered it, and murdered him.

3-1

W/U Reveillark is powerful. I noticed that against non-red decks, there was no need to hurry. Against White Weenie, I was happy to go down to 8, because I knew I'd soon control the game.

If I was to play it over again, I'd probably take out one Reveillark for Baneslayer Angel, and a Meddling Mage for Sower of Temptation. Baneslayer Angel is just awesome, but Reveillark + Archmage, Sower and Mulldrifter is insane as well. I think 3/2 is the right ratio here.

Until next time, may you enjoy what's there before it's gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I likes me some comments.