Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Great Sable Stag: Maindeck or No?

I've been wondering for a few days if Great Sable Stag is maindeckable in today's Standard. Today, I decided to check it out. I originally considered using a Five-Color Control list, but I'm unskilled at it and wouldn't really need GSS. I then decided to switch to a Jund list. Jund has Cascade, which should allow me to see a lot more GSS'es over the course of a few matches.

Here's the list I used, copied from a tournament, replacing GSS in the sideboard with the Kitchen Finks maindeck.

Lands (25)

4 Savage Lands
4 Twilight Mire
3 Vivid Marsh
3 Vivid Grove
4 Reflecting Pool
3 Graven Cairns
1 Swamp
1 Forest
1 Mountain
1 Fire-Lit Thicket

Creatures (18)

4 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Great Sable Stag
4 Boggart Ram-Gang
4 Putrid Leech
2 Sygg, River Cutthroat

Spells (17)

2 Maelstrom Pulse
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Sign in Blood
4 Bituminous Blast
4 Volcanic Fallout

Sideboard (15)

3 Anathemancer
4 Kitchen Finks
1 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Snakeform
3 Blightning
2 Infest

On to the match reports!

Match 1 vs. Crucifera (Five-Color Control)

Game 1 I start with Sign in Blood, and Bloodbraid Elf into Boggart Ram-Gang. He Cryptic Commands's the Ram-Gang, and I swing. I swing again next turn and he flashes in a Cloudthresher, killing my Bloodbraid Elf. I use Maelstrom Pulse on it, then pass. He plays Liliana Vess, and I discard a land. End of turn, I double Lightning Bolt Liliana to kill her.

I play Bloodbraid Elf into Boggart Ram-Gang again, and hit him down to 9. He Firespouts, then passes. I play a Great Sable Stag. When I swing, he flashes another Cloudthresher. I use a second Maelstrom Pulse after combat. He plays Jace and passes. I play Putrid Leech. He plays end of turn Plumeveil. He uses Jace to bring it up to 7 counters, then plays...Jace? I remind him of the subtype rules, and he ruefully puts both in the graveyard.

He blocks my Putrid Leech with Plumeveil. I pump, and he Agony Warps it in response. I pass, so does he. I play Sygg, and he plays an end of turn Makeshift Mannequin for Cloudthresher. He then plays Cruel Ultimatum after untapping, and I concede.

Sideboard: In: 1 Maelstrom Pulse, 3 Anathemancer. -4 Volcanic Fallout.

Game 2 I play a turn 3 Boggart Ram-Gang, the first play of the game, and swing. He evokes a Mulldrifter. I play Bloodbraid Elf into Great Sable Stag and swing for 6. He plays Kitchen Finks. I play a second Boggart Ram-Gang and attack with just them. He blocks with one and takes 3. He passes without playing a fifth land. I swing with all my guys. He Makeshift Mannequins a Mulldrifter. I Lightning Bolt it before blocks, and he goes to 3. I then play Anathemancer for the win.

Game 3 I play a turn 2 Sygg. We both pass: I suspect a Plumeveil, so don't attack. I play Bloodbraid Elf into Anathemancer, and he Cryptic Commands my Anathemancer, bouncing Sygg to my hand. I swing for 3. He untaps, and plays a full-priced Mulldrifter. I untap and cast Bituminous Blast, cascading into Great Sable Stag, and swing again. He goes to 14. He plays Firespout. I play Boggart Ram-Gang and Sygg. I swing with the Ram-Gang, and he plays Plumeveil and blocks. Ram-Gang dies, and his Plumeveil becomes a 1/1. He draws and plays Anathemancer for 4. I play Boggart Ram-Gang and swing. It gets double blocked by Plumeveil and Anathemancer. I pass.

He plays Liliana Vess. I cast Maelstrom Pulse, and play Putrid Leech. I swing for 1 with Sygg, and pass. He plays Makeshift Mannequin for Mulldrifter. I untap, lay a seventh land and unearth Anathemancer for 7. I swing, he blocks my two guys. He plays Kitchen Finks, bringing his life up to 10. He plays a full-price Mulldrifter and passes. I draw Anathemancer, play it, and knock him down to 2, then play Lightning Bolt to win.

1-0

Match 2: FastMast (Master Transmuter Deck)

He makes the first play of the game, casting Fabricate for Master Transmuter. I play Boggart Ram-Gang and swing for 3. He plays Ornithopter and a full-price Borderpost, then passes. I play a second Boggart Ram-Gang and swing. He blocks one with Ornithopter. He goes to 14.

He untaps and plays Master Transmuter. I untap, and Bituminous Blast into Bloodbraid Elf into Great Sable Stag. That's just sick. He plays a Sphinx Summoner, searching for a Master Transmuter, but I just alpha strike for the win.

Game 2 (No sideboard)

He mulligans to 5, plays an Ornithopter and a land, and passes. I play Turn 2 Sign in Blood. He passes, and I play Putrid Leech and pass. He plays an Etherium Sculptor, and I swing with Putrid Leech. He takes 4, and I play Great Sable Stag. He passes again, and I play Sygg and swing. He blocks, and saves his guys with Ethersworn Shieldmage.

He plays Tidehollow Sculler, stealing a Bloodbraid Elf. I swing with Great Sable Stag and Putrid Leech. He takes 3 and blocks Leech with the Sculptor. I cast two Lightning Bolts, one at him, one at his Sculler. He plays a Scourglass.

I play Bloodbraid Elf, hoping for a Boggart Ram-Gang, but instead hit Putrid Leech. I swing with my three guys. I expect him to block at 10 life, but he forgets about Putrid Leech's pumping, takes the hit, and dies.

2-0.

Match 3: Ace of Spades (Faeries)

I play a Turn 3 Great Sable Stag and apologise. He passes. I plays Bloodbraid Elf into Boggart Ram-Gang, and he Broken Ambitions the Ram-Gang. I swing for 6. Next turn I play Bloodbraid Elf into a Fallout, which I deign not to play. He Peppersmokes Boggart Ram-Gang and goes to 3, and concedes next turn.

(No sideboarding)

He plays Turn 1 Thoughtseize, revealing Putrid Leech, Bloodbraid Elf, Bituminous Blast, and lands. He takes the Putrid Leech, but I draw a duplicate next turn, and play it Turn 2. He passes. I play Sygg, and swing with the Leech for 4. I end the turn, drawing off Sygg. He plays a Bitterblossom. I topdeck Maelstrom Pulse and play it, and he casts Flashfreeze on it. I swing him to 9, pass, and draw off Sygg.

He passes. I swing, he flashes in a Scion and blocks a guy with the token. After combat, I Bituminous Blast it, cascading into a Boggart Ram-Gang. I end the turn.

He Agony Warps my Ram-Gang and passes. I play Bloodbraid Elf into Putrid Leech. He Cryptic Commands the Bloodbraid Elf and taps my guys. I pass. On my upkeep, he Mistbind Cliques. I swing with the Leeches, and he blocks with a Clique and a token. I pump the one blocked by Clique and both die. Next turn, he Mistbind Cliques in my upkeep. I attack with Putrid Leech. He blocks, and I kill the Clique again. I cast Bloodbraid Elf into Great Sable Stag and swing. He blocks, goes to 2 from Bitterblossom, draws, and concedes.

3-0

Match 4: Ace of Spades (Five-Color Control)

Ace of Spades asks me for another set. I explain I'm doing coverage for a blog, but will gladly play him if he switches decks. He offers to let me switch too, but of course I decline.

Game 1 I play a Turn 3 Putrid Leech. When I swing, he casts Plumeveil. I pump it and both die. I play Sign in Blood and pass. He passes. I play Bloodbraid Elf into Great Sable Stag and swing for 3. He takes it, then plays Hallowed Burial.

I play a Great Sable Stag and pass. He evokes a Mulldrifter and passes. I swing him to 14. He untaps, and Cruels me. In response I cast all my burn: 2 Lightning Bolts and a Volcanic Fallout. My guys die, my hand is discarded, he goes to 11, and I go to 9. I've never won a game where Cruel resolved against me, but I fight on anyway. I play a Sygg, and pass. He passes, and I play Great Sable Stag and pass. He plays an end of turn Plumeveil, then Cruels me again. I swing him down to 13, and play Putrid Leech. He plays Essence Scatter. He evokes a Mulldrifter, plays Broodmate Dragon, and I concede.

Sideboard: +1 Maelstrom Pulse, +3 Anathemancer, -4 Volcanic Fallout

Game 2 I play a Turn 2 Sign in Blood. He passes. I play Sygg, he passes. I play Great Sable Stag, and he plays an end of turn Esper Charm to make me discard. I discard Bituminous Blast and Anathemancer. He evokes a Mulldrifter. I swing for 4 and pass, drawing off Sygg. He Esper Charms himself and passes. I play Boggart Ram-Gang and swing him to nine. He plays Hallowed Burial. I Lightning Bolt him twice, then play Anathemancer for the win.

Game 3 we play land-go for a few turns. Then he evokes a Mulldrifter. I play Great Sable Stag and pass. He plays Runed Halo naming Great Sable Stag. I cast Maelstrom Pulse and swing. He plays a full Mulldrifter. In my turn I Bituminous Blast it, cascading into a Sign in Blood, which I cast. I swing. He plays Broodmate Dragon and passes.

I play another Bituminous Blast, hitting the non-black one (since I have Great Sable Stag) and cascade into a Boggart Ram-Gang. He blocks it, and his Broodmate becomes a 1/1. He draws, and plays Puppeteer Clique to steal Boggart Ram-Gang. He swings me for 3. Next turn I untap, swing with Great Sable Stag knocking him to 8, play Anathemancer for 7, then Lightning Bolt for the win.

4-0!

So as you can see, not only did all 4 decks I faced have blue and black in it, but I also won every single match I played. If I were to play this deck at a PTQ or FNM, I'd add the Anathemancers maindeck and put the Fallouts in the sideboard. They're simply less necessary now, with the rise of Five-Color Control, and Anathemancer was powerful in just about every match. I'd also add a fourth Anathemancer. They're very, very good. I might also replace the Kitchen Finks in the sideboard with something else, but I'm not sure what yet.

Lessons I've Learnt Today:

Always force your opponent to play through his mistakes, or he'll think he has the right to do it again. (I left this match).

Anathemancer is even better than I thought. Same with Sygg.

Jund is my deck of choice. If I had the money, I'd build it, and even take it to a local PTQ. I wonder if Jeremy has a Jund mana base...I have 3 Pulses after all...

Question for the Readers!

Many of my articles are far longer than I expected to write regularly: over a thousand words. I don't mind this, in fact, I can keep it up quite easily. However, they might be too long for you guys: and that's what this blog is for. The people. So tell me: is this blog too long? Should I save the long posts for special occasions, and are the match reports to detailed?

I always accept critique, but this time I'm openly asking for praise or criticism. Please leave a comment, and leave your two cents. You can comment anonymously.

Thank you,

Jay Bailey (Mtgsalivanth)

4 comments:

  1. They're ok in length: when I'm short on time, I try to skim the important passages, and when I have a lot of time, your long posts give me just the right amount of detail and depth to read things through and look some interesting things up. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if you don’t have a lot of disposable louis vuitton bag income, you can still enjoy the finer things in life. Keep up with the latest fashion trends with a high-quality, meticulously constructed replica of your favorite Louis vuitton bags . When you choose a reputable source like lv , your purchase will be more than a cheap imitation -- louis vuitton will be an investment in a long-lasting, fashion-conscious accessory that you’ll carry for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if you don’t have a lot of disposable louis vuitton bag income, you can still enjoy the finer things in life. Keep up with the latest fashion trends with a high-quality, meticulously constructed replica of your favorite Louis vuitton bags . When you choose a reputable source like lv , your purchase will be more than a cheap imitation -- louis vuitton will be an investment in a long-lasting, fashion-conscious accessory that you’ll carry for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://blogtext.org/crazyhogan/
    http://blogtext.org/Thankshogan/
    http://coolhogan.bravejournal.com/
    http://coolhogan.gather.com/
    http://coolhogan.insanejournal.com/
    http://coolhogan.livejournal.com/
    http://coolhogan.us.splinder.com/
    http://coolhogan.viviti.com/
    http://coolhogan.vox.com/
    http://coolhogan.xanga.com/

    ^_~ ~_^

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I likes me some comments.