Thursday, December 10, 2009

What If: Cascade Was Never Invented?

Hi guys! Zendikar's been out for a while, so now we're going to do a metagame breakdown of Standard. Aggro is still powerful but Control certainly has a good presence as well. Let's see what we have...


Boros Bushwhacker


Maindeck:

Creatures
3 
Elite Vanguard
2 
Goblin Bushwhacker
4 
Goblin Guide
3 
Kor Skyfisher
4 
Plated Geopede
4 
Ranger Of Eos
4 
Steppe Lynx

Instants
2 
Burst Lightning
4 
Lightning Bolt
4 
Path To Exile

Planeswalkers
2 
Elspeth, Knight-errant

Basic Lands
4 
Mountain
6 
Plains

Lands
4 
Arid Mesa
4 
Marsh Flats
4 
Scalding Tarn
2 
Teetering Peaks

Sideboard:
2 
Baneslayer Angel
4 
Manabarbs
3 
Oblivion Ring
2 
Burst Lightning
4 
Celestial Purge


Boros Bushwhacker is still one of the top decks in Standard. It kills most Control decks before they get online, but has a bad matchup against Eldrazi Green, which sweeped a few States tournaments.


 Eldrazi Green


Maindeck:

Artifacts
3 
Eldrazi Monument

Creatures
3 
Ant Queen
4 
Elvish Archdruid
4 
Elvish Visionary
3 
Great Sable Stag
4 
Llanowar Elves
2 
Master Of The Wild Hunt
4 
Nissa's Chosen
2 
Noble Hierarch

Planeswalkers
3 
Garruk Wildspeaker
4 
Nissa Revane

Basic Lands
20 
Forest

Lands
4 
Oran-rief, The Vastwood

Sideboard:
1 
Eldrazi Monument
3 
Pithing Needle
3 
Great Sable Stag
3 
Mold Shambler
3 
Mycoloth
2 
Windstorm



Eldrazi Green plays out a lot of "must-deal-with" threats, and it's a pretty good deck. Against these decks are the control decks:


RWU Planeswalker Control


Artifacts
4 
Courier's Capsule
1 
Obelisk Of Alara

Creatures
3 
Sphinx Of Jwar Isle

Instants
1 
Essence Scatter
2 
Flashfreeze
4 
Lightning Bolt
4 
Path To Exile
1 
Swerve

Planeswalkers
4 
Ajani Vengeant
1 
Chandra Nalaar
2 
Elspeth, Knight-errant

Sorceries
4 
Day Of Judgment
3 
Mind Spring

Basic Lands
3 
Island
2 
Mountain
3 
Plains

Lands
3 
Arid Mesa
2 
Crumbling Necropolis
4 
Glacial Fortress
2 
Jungle Shrine
3 
Scalding Tarn
4 
Sejiri Refuge

Sideboard:
1 
Pithing Needle
3 
Celestial Purge
2 
Essence Scatter
3 
Flashfreeze
3 
Oblivion Ring
3 
Earthquake



This is one of the 'decks to beat' at the moment, since there are few ways to gain card advantage in Standard at the moment, and planeswalkers are a big one.


That's all we have time for today! Tomorrow we'll talk about W/U Control, Red Deck Wins, and Emeria decks. See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I like the breakdown of the most common decks! Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    Online Levitra

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I likes me some comments.